Vanilla Spice Oatmeal
This yummy oatmeal recipe is guaranteed to get you going in the morning!
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more, to taste
- 1 cup lowfat milk, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Swirl in the brown sugar and place the oatmeal in serving bowls. Pour 1/4 cup of milk on top of each bowl, and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- For a quicker version using quick cooking or plain instant oatmeal: Cook the oatmeal according to the directions on the package. Stir raisins, brown sugar, and nutmeg into the cooked oatmeal. Top with milk, nuts (toasted or un-toasted) and cinnamon
Jolene Goring – International Health Expert https://jolenegoring.com/